Thursday, September 28, 2017

My Most Patriotic Moment

What was your most patriotic moment?


Post and tag two of your friends.


Does one stand out?


Was it directly after 9/11?


Does it have to do with the flag or the anthem?


Or was it even more personal?


I recall a day in San Diego and the anthem found the family standing with our hands over our hearts.


My daughter-in-law's father was standing with the rest of us that sun splashed day.


As I watched him, I became aware that he was doing more than standing.


He was crying.


Tears were streaming down his cheeks.


This  would  become my definitive patriotic moment and it had little to do with me.


What was wrong with this picture?


This diminutive Filipino-American had fought for the Unites States in World War II and it was the highlight of his life.


This shining moment-3 minutes in a lifetime-gave him the chance to stand in front of all those he loved and show the emotions which filled him with pride.


His pride gave me chills.


I never loved my country more than in those 3 minutes.


And that is why I will forever remain standing!


A wise man once said that those 3 minutes and or flag is a time to celebrate our triumphs and not dwell on what we need to improve.


When was the moment you decided you loved your country?


America wants to know.


Especially today.



















No comments: