Monday, July 25, 2016

Gumball

The idea came to me when some moron was pitching me a chewing gum which had magical powers which made women fall instantly in love.


Why not create a gum that could change baseball--for at least a season.


One season in my life.


So as CEO I did just that.


After I bought the San Diego ball club I showed up at Spring Training and told my manager that I wanted to pitch in a game.


He must have though I wanted a look at the pitchers this year and told me he would call the bullpen coach.


No, I said--I wanted to get in a game.


They knew nothing about my Gumball.


In fact very few did.


All I knew was that if you applied the gum to the ball it turned into a major pitch and on that basis I was about to become a legendary owner-player.


I felt like I was 12 years old all over again.

No comments: