Saturday, July 26, 2014

Goodbye Walt Whitman High

Goodbye Walt Whitman High
I knew you so well
You were the highlight  of a boys life
And many who have fell

We would sing to thee
Hail to thee Walt Whitman
We thought it would last forever
Thought we were Peter Pan

And it seems to me we lived our lives
Like a candle in the wind
Never knowing who to cling to
When the rain set in

And 40 years after I left you, I asked for a Hall of Fame
Such a fool--this grown man named Tarde
So many classmates tuned me out
They went to that garden party

Loneliness was tough
The toughest role in any sense
But Whitman showed me what I could become
And that gave me a world of confidence

Even when we went our separate ways
The parties on Chichester Bend
All the games, all the plays
We thought they would never end

Goodbye Walt Whitman High
From the young man in Homeroom 633
Who sees you as something as more than a school
More than just our place to be

I wish those four years would never end
But it was time to move on and out
There will always be Wildcat blood in my veins
The mighty Casey just struck out

But when he does he remembers the little boy
Who was too shy to ask a girl to dance
Who first became an actor on the Whitman stage
And remembers his school who gave him that chance

The Hall of Fame is our lasting gift to you
A school which began in 1954
We wish you long life
And so many years more

No comments: