Friday, November 16, 2012

2nd Mugging?

Thoughts of February, 2007 surfaced briefly this morning. That was the morning I was mugged while on my daily hike. It might have happened again. My son always cautions me not to walk when it is dark. However, I live life with a greater zest than most people in America and doing my cardio walk at before 5AM is a key part of my day. I crossed the street watching for very early traffic and turned around to see a male figure almost knock me down. He had ben jogging and as the expression goes, “he came out of nowhere.” It was strange almost colliding with someone before dawn on the trails of San Diego . What was stranger was what happened next. From under his hoody, I can see his eyes. They were not the eyes of a kind man. They were the eyes of a mugger. Apparently, he didn’t like that I intersected his space. It stopped him in his tracks and inte3rrupted his early morning jog. For a moment, we just stared at each other. I thought he might throw a punch. My hand reached into my sweat pants . I had something for him as well. He offered one last menacing look as if he were some animal sizing me up for attack. Then he turned and ambled down the path. Several times in the next few minutes, he shot a glance behind to see exactly where I was. Strategically, I remained several paces back. One confrontation was enough with this loose cannon. What was in my pocket? A canister of peeper spray, a police whistle and very soon, a stun gun. I will give someone who wants to mess with me all they can handle and I spend many hours sharing my stories with women who I ask to prepare themselves when they walk or jog. It just might save your life.

No comments: