Wednesday, June 02, 2010

PROMISE to Save Lives!

I started with a PROMISE several years ago.

It pained me to see so many teens losing their lives and futures due to bad decision making.

One stupid mistake shouldn't cost one their life.

But that is exactly what will happen if you experiment with drugs, add speed and include the factor of inexperience behind the wheel.

I have always been fascinated with driving safety.

My Dad dedicated the latter part of his life teaching others to stay alive on the road and his tips have stayed with me and I have passed them on to my kids who pass them on to their kids.

My son Scott, now a father of two himself, has a favorite.

When you are stopped at a traffic light or stop sign, before you pull out into the intersection, look to your left first.

Why?

That is where you will be hit first, if a driver decides to run a light or stop signal. You will be hit by a car going left to right.

So. you look left first. Then right. Then left again. And then you go.

It can take two seconds, but it will save your life.

I promise.

Scott has already told me that the practice has saved his life.

I hope someday you tell me that it saves yours.

And one more thing.

I introduced this PROMISE card several years ago.

I wanted to save lives with this simple PROMISE as well.

If you have a teen, you might want to keep it in your wallet and have them keep it in theirs.


Today, I PROMISE for a lifetime never to enter a motor vehicle as driver or passenger where there is evidence of alcohol or drugs.



Have you ever put your life into another person's hands?

Asked them to put their life in yours?

That is what you are doing when you make the PROMISE.

I hope it works for your family.

It's June and this means weddings, graduations and celebrations.

We need something to remind us to stay safe.

That's why I asked my kids to make a PROMISE.

What will you ask your kids?

No comments: