Monday, November 14, 2016

My Life as a Bialy

Bialy (Yiddish: ביאלי‎), a Yiddish word short for biały or bialystoker kuchen (Yiddish: ביאליסטאקער קוכען‎), from the city of Białystok in Poland, is a small roll that is a traditional dish in Polish and Polish Ashkenazi cuisine. A traditional bialy, or cebularz as it is known in Poland, has a diameter of up to 15 cm (6 inches) and is a chewy yeast roll similar to a bagel. Unlike a bagel, which is boiled before baking, a bialy is simply baked, and instead of a hole in the middle it has a depression. Before baking, this depression is filled with diced onions and other ingredients, including (depending on the recipe) garlic, poppy seeds, or bread crumbs.[1]










I was promised safe passage on my journey from Bialystok to San Diego.


I didn't expect to wake up in a bin of bagels at Golden Bagel in Mira Mesa.


To follow my story you will have to come back here as I can only write when the owner Alfonso is greeting customers.


So far no one has taken me home, but I think that is about to change.







No comments: