Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Bunch More on Brady

I listen to Tom Brady because he is on my list as one of the QB’s who has mastered the mental game, a game I teach. This summer, sportswriters have hovered around him until they could get a quote from the multi-SB winner about his tight end facing murder charges. This is what he gave them. "I've seen a lot of things over 13 years, and what I have learned is that mental toughness and putting aside personal agendas for what's in the best interest of the team matters most. My job is to play quarterback, and I'm going to do that the best way I know how, because I owe that to my teammates regardless of who is out there on the field with me. I have moved on," Brady told King. "I’m focusing on the great teammates I have who are committed to helping us win games," he added. "The only thing I care about is winning. Nothing is going to ever get in the way of that goal. I’m just excited to report to camp and see what we can accomplish as a team. The fate of our season will be determined by the players in our locker room—nothing else." I could care less what Brady thinks about a former teammate who has sunk to the lowest in life. I do want to know what he is thinking so he can continue to help me prepare kids to play his position. Montana, Bradshaw, Manning and Manning, these are only some of the QB’s I have watched at their position who personified winning. Why? Some of the answers are right here in the words to a seemingly innocuous question about a teammate no longer. Brady focuses on what is best for the team he has to suit up with. This is the team that he locks into his mind and season after changing season, sees himself on his mental screen, leading his team to victory---whatever it takes. Brady reminds us that the only thing he cares about is winning and although some critics will tell you that he has damaged his halo by losing SB’s to my beloved Giants, I don’t see it that way. I see that Tom still, after all these years, gets his team to the biggest game and puts them into position to win. More than any other QB in history, the odds sometimes catch up to even the greatest. Give me one season, one playoff game, one championship game, I put my money on Brady. He talks the talk. He walks the talk. He masters the mental game.

No comments: