Sunday, April 21, 2013

Ballad Man

It's nine o'clock on a Saturday The Reunion crowd shuffles in A classmate is sitting next to me Makin' love to his tonic and gin He says, Steve, can you sing me a memory I'm not really sure how it goes I lost my mind years ago This Reunion shit It really blows. Sing us a song, you're the ballad man sing us a song tonight Well, we're all in the mood for a memory And you've got us feelin' alright Now Walt at the bar played ball with me He buys me a drink I don’t touch And he's quick with a joke or to light up your smoke And still I thank him very much He says Steve, I believe this is killing me As the smile ran away from his face Well I could have been a big baseball star if I had only stayed in the race. Now Walt is a certified nut case Who never had time for a life And he's talking with Jerry Who arrived on the Ferry And pictures each woman he meets as his wife. And the waitress is laughing at Walt’s story As the classmates slowly get smashed Yes, they're sharing a drink they call loneliness But it's better than drinking alone Sing us a song, you're the ballad man Sing us a song tonight. Well, we're all in the mood for a memory And you've got us feelin' alright. It's a pretty good crowd for a Reunion And the committee gives me a smile Cause they know that they pulled off another one And they have 5 years to do it again. And the piano sounds like a carnival And the bar smells like piss and beer And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar But it’s a player piano they hear. Sing us a song, you're the ballad man Sing us a song tonight. Well, we're all in the mood for a memory And you've got us feelin' alright.

No comments: