Friday, September 14, 2012

Austin and Dax

He was one of my champions and he will always stand tall in my personal Hall of Fame. He had a superhero’s name, which still, 16 years later, still rolls off my tongue. Austin Locke. I loved that name. I would have romanced 100 more women lifetime with that name. Austin Locke. It still sends chills down my spine. In 1996, I was willing to be engaged by any basketball team in America. Austin was a skinny 17 year old point-forward, a shade over six feet tall, maybe, and zero chance of ever playing Division 1 college ball. I hadn’t heard from Austin since that day when he led that little team of no names to the State basketball championship in Arizona. I looked around. I guess I got in late because I wasn’t sure this was one of my regular Hilton Hotels. Hell, I didn’t even know what city I was in. I know that reads strange, but you have to be an itinerant motivational speaker to walk in my shoes. I reached for my cell phone, but I guess I left it back in the room. Strange. In fact, I had nothing at all in the pockets of my jeans. No ID, no cash, no credit cards, no hotel key, no phone. What the hell was going on here? And out of the blue, Austin Locke comes bounding down the hall and we embrace. Steve, Oh my gosh, it is so great to see you. I grew misty eyed. My students, basketball, vocabulary, I loved them all. Austin, what have you been up to? Austin smiled broadly. I don’t know. I guess I have been dead on my feet. Austin must have felt that this was very funny because he let out a big laugh and hugged me again. How are you doing? Austin winked. I wasn’t sure what he was talking about , but I ignored his odd behavior. Teaching visualization, writing, helping people discover their life’s purpose. Austin was looking beyond me, as if he was expecting someone to join us. You were great at that, Steve. Without you, we never would have gone on to the championship run as we did in Phoenix. It was a sweet thing to say and I smiled. Seems to me like you, Joe and Artin had something to do with that. Austin laughed a little too loudly again. The Three Musketeers. Boy, those were the days! Our own rendition of That Championship Season. Maybe we should go see the play. I think it was set 20 years after the championship season. Austin smiled nostalgically. 20 years! We almost made it. What do you mean “almost?” You haven’t figured it out yet, Steve. Have you? I stared at Austin and shrugged. Austin let me in on the big mystery. We’re both dead! I hadn’t seen that one coming. Now, I knew why I didn’t need my ID and keys. We were in Heaven and Austin was my greeting host. Funny thing is I am supposed to meet someone else here tonight and I wanted them to meet my favorite teacher of all time. I was still in shock. Joe, Artin? Austin shook his head. No, geez! I haven’t seen them since high school. I guess they are still living their lives. But you, Austin, you are still a young man. Austin smiled. That damn smile again. Yeah, heart attack. It will kill you just about every time. I think that’s what gotThis time Austin laughed so hard, he almost fell down. Just then, a lady brought over a 3 year old and placed the boy in Austin’s surprised, but welcoming arms. Austin began to sob. He smiled at me. Steve, this is my son, Dax. He died of a rare Leukemia when he was 3 and now we are finally back together again. You, me and Dax. This is the happiest day I have ever known. Thank you, Professor. WiThis time Austin laughed so hard, he almost fell down. Just then, a lady brought over a 3 year old and placed the boy in Austin’s surprised, but welcoming arms. Austin began to sob. He smiled at me. Steve, this is my son, Dax. He died of a rare Leukemia when he was 3 and now we are finally back together again. You, me and Dax. This is the happiest day I have ever known. th that, Austin let out one of those high pitched laughs which annoyed me at first, but I was warming up to Austin hugged me again. Seems like laughing and hugging were his new hobbies. You need to teach some visualization and writing skills right here. My response must have been too serious for him. Who do I see to arrange that? (to be continued)

No comments: