Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Fantasy Baseball--the Beginnings

Baseball is life. Fantasy baseball has its modern beginnings back to the late 1980”s, but there were many versions from the advent of the power of the original IBM computers back in 1960. Author Jack Kerouac is said to have played a form of fantasy baseball using fictitious players and statistics. I might have gone a step beyond that. Starting in 1961, at the age of 11, I began pitching and batting in front of my TV set and keeping track of the statistics in a notebook. For example, when I pitched, whoever the pitcher was who I was modeling, their statistics counted on my total as long as I threw the pitch or was in the batter’s box. So I guess I am one of the pioneers of Fantasy Baseball. So much fame in one lifetime.

No comments: