Friday, September 11, 2009

TALKING TO OUR KIDS!

Parents with children at home talk to their children all the time.

Are they communicating with them.

My grandson starts winter little league in San Diego this weekend and my son, a terrific dad, will coach the team.

I cringe when I see most parents interact with their kids in little league.

A perfect example is when a kid makes a mistake.

I have heard comments such as.

HOW COULD YOU BE SO STUPID!

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING OF?

YOU SCREWED THAT ONE UP BIG TIME!

A parent or coach is a teacher and it is so easy to teach and accentuate the positive while you correct a mistake.

A parent or coach could take the same mistake on the playing field and turn it into a positive experience.

Simply choose a different set of words.

I LIKED THE EFFORT! LET ME SUGGEST YOU TRY IT THIS WAY!

FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN YOU COULD BE A GOOD PLAYER! NEXT TIME TRY THIS...

It takes a little effort on the part of the coach and the parent to always emphasize the positive.

Many of us weren't brought up in a positive parenting environment.

And, like many bad habits, we have inherited these traits and continue to pass them down.

And it can all stop starting today.

If we THINK about it.

And our kids might really enjoy the experience of playing SPORTS or whatever the activity.

Wasn't that the idea?

No comments: